SOMA AUSTRALIA ADOPTION PROCESS
+ PRE-ADOPTION: SOMA SCHOOL
At least one elder from your church participate in Soma School. It’s ideal for multiple leaders/couples from your church to do so. This multi-day training includes immersion in a Soma church and is a foundational starting point for this adoption process.
+ PHASE 1 // GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER
As a family of churches, relationships with one another are vital. We work together to plant churches, ensure leader and church health, and share our strengths with each other – so relationships are a very high priority for us. Therefore, the first step of this process is for your church leaders and Soma area leaders to meet.
– Familiarise your church’s leadership with three documents:
- The Soma Distinctives
- The 15 Marks of a Strong Soma Church, and
- This page outlining the adoption process.
– Express your church leadership’s desire for adoption to an existing Soma leader and pursue them as a sponsor church. Adoption churches require a Soma church in your area with whom you have a relationship to affirm your church’s pursuit of the Soma Family and alignment with its distinctives. They will walk alongside you during the adoption process.
– Set up a ‘getting to know you’ call with:
- your Soma sponsor church’s leader(s),
- at least one member of your Soma Area leadership team, and
- all of your church’s elders.
– You’re invited to join in on Soma Family events like the Soma Family Retreat, area events and calls, Leader cohorts, etc. We want you to begin to experience the benefits of being a part of the Soma family even as we get to know and trust one another.
+ PHASE 2 // ADOPTION COACHING
Once your church’s elders and Soma leaders are aligned around the documents, expectations, and process, the next step is Adoption Coaching. There is key content to discuss, and personalised coaching (often your Soma sponsor and/or an Area Leader).
– You can complete coaching at whatever pace your elders and coach can sustain. The duration could be up to 10 months, depending on the frequency of the coaching sessions. We need enough time to address each of Soma’s 10 Distinctives and 15 marks of a Strong church, perhaps with applied next steps for the strengthening of your church.
+ PHASE 3 // ADOPTION ON-SITE WEEKEND
Once you complete the coaching process, your church will enter the final phase of the Adoption Process. This includes –
– A review of the strengths and needs discussed throughout the coaching process, and further recommendations. The goal is to serve you and ensure your readiness to enter the Soma family, so this may be one or multiple discussions. Your elders and other Soma area leaders may be involved.
– An on-site weekend review of your church’s strengths, areas of growth, and readiness. Once any concerns are sufficiently addressed, 1-3 members of your Soma Area team will spend 2-3 days with you and your church family.
- This team will most likely include your sponsor, your coach, and an Area Team member, preferably this includes at least one woman.
- We ask that your church covers the cost of the team’s travel, accommodation (in homes with church members is best), food, etc.
- The team meets with elders, MC leaders, staff and/or other leaders, and church members, to get a better feel for who your church family is, to celebrate ways you affirm and embody the marks of a Strong Church and Soma Distinctives in your mission field.
– Following the on-site visit, a Next Steps plan will be developed and discussed which may include further coaching, development, follow-up visits, etc.
+ WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!
Upon the Soma Team’s recommendation, your church is adopted into the Soma Family and commissioned into our shared mission, vision, and distinctives at a Family event. Welcome to the family! Soma churches will look forward to pursuing the vision of gospel saturation together with you!
Once in the Soma Family you will build on the engagement you have had with your Area as you collectively pursue Gospel Saturation through investment in the 5 aspects of a Strong Area.
Soma distinctives & beliefs